What is the Zoom Layers Mode for Quiz?
The Zoom Layers Mode is a feature on the Pigeonhole Live Zoom App. When enabled during a Quiz Session, it will overlay the Projector Panel of the quiz alongside the host's video feed and Leaderboard (if enabled). The host thus does not need to share their screen showing the Projector Panel on a separate tab. At the end of the quiz, the top three winners are spotlighted with a well-earned celebration animation.
- We recommend you allow time to test run the Layers Mode because the first time Layers Mode is turned on, your Zoom client would update or install some supporting utilities.
- The layers mode toggle will not be visible to attendees if they are in guest mode, Hide Attendee Identities is enabled or they are in a webinar.
- After the download is complete, you would need to re-open the Pigeonhole Live Zoom App and turn on the Layers Mode.
Zoom update prompt.
How to use the Zoom Layers Mode on a Session
- Sign into your Zoom meeting.
- Click on My Apps and select Pigeonhole Live.
Ongoing Zoom meeting.
- Next, log in to your Pigeonhole Live account.
Pigeonhole Live Zoom App login page.
- Select your workspace.
Pigeonhole Live Zoom App select workspace page.
- Select the Session you want to connect to your Zoom meeting.
Select Session prompt.
- After choosing a Session, enable the Layers Mode feature on the side panel of the app. Note that if Audience pace is enabled for the quiz, then attendees will not see the Layers Mode toggle. The host however will see it. Learn more about Audience pace
Zoom meeting before the Host enables the Layers Mode.
Zoom meeting after the Host enables the Layers Mode.
- Once this is done a bright orange indicator appears at the top right corner of the screen to confirm that Zoom Layers is now active in your meeting. The Host's video would be spotlighted for everyone in the meeting.
- If one of the top three spotlighted winners of the quiz participated anonymously, then only his nickname and trophy will be spotlighted. This also applies if the winner is in guest mode.
Anonymous winners vs non-anonymous winner in a Quiz with Zoom Layers enabled.
- The Zoom Layers feature is only available on desktop and requires Zoom Client v5.13.1 or higher.
- The Host can only enable Zoom Layers Mode on one Session at a time.
- If they switch to another Session, the Layers Mode for the previous Session will be turned off automatically.
- The Host can apply the Layers Mode to hidden and casted Sessions.
- There must be three Attendees, including the Host, for the Host to be spotlighted and able to toggle on the Layers Mode.
- If the attendee who is one of the top three spotlighted winners leaves the quiz for another session during the celebration animation, he will be removed as a spotlighted winner.
- If Hide Attendee Identities for Projector Panel is enabled for the Pigeonhole, or if in webinar, only the host will be spotlighted to show the winner nicknames and trophies
- The attendee who is one of the top three winners can only be spotlighted if they have their video turned on
- The Zoom Layers feature only works when the user's video is turned on. When the Host or Attendee has their camera off, and they toggle the Layers Mode, Zoom will prompt the user for permission to turn on the user’s camera.
Zoom requesting the Host to turn on the camera.
Prompt after Host tried to turn on the Layers Mode without the camera.